A snail is a common name for a kind of mollusc. The term is used for a gastropod with a coiled shell. The close relatives of the snails are the slugs, which are basically snails without shells.
In some countries, like France, people eat snails. After the snails are cooked, they make a dish called Escargot, a delicacy in France. They usually boil them in saltwater and add a garlic sauce.
Click on any of the snails coloring pages below to see the full coloring page.
Quiz About Snail
Snails belong to which animal group?
Snails usually eat which of the following foods?
Answer: Rotten vegetables
What is snail farming or rearing called?
Snails are nocturnal. This means snails are most active at what time?
Answer: At night
What protects the snail from cuts when crawling on a sharp object?
Answer: Its shell
Interesting Fact About Snails
- Snail is a common name for gastropod molluscs that can be split into three groups, land snails, sea snails, and freshwater snails.
- Snails can have lungs or gills depending on the species and their habitat. Some marine snails actually can have lungs and some land-based snails can have gills.
- Snail-like animals that do not have a shell are usually called slugs.
- Most snail species have a ribbon-like tongue called a radula that contains thousands of microscopic teeth. The radula works like a file, ripping food up into tiny pieces.
- The majority of snails are herbivores eating vegetation such as leaves, stems, and flowers, some larger species, and marine-based species can be predatory omnivores or even carnivores.
- The giant African land snail grows to about 38 cm (15 in) and weighs 1 kg (2lb).
Quote About Snails
- “By perseverance, the snail reached the ark.” – Charles Spurgeon
- “The hand that dips into the bottom of the pot will eat the biggest snail.” – Wole Soyinka
- “In philosophy, if you aren’t moving at a snail’s pace you aren’t moving at all.” – Iris Murdoch
- “We get wise by asking questions, and even if these are not answered, we get wise, for a well-packed question carries its answer on its back as a snail carries its shell.” – James Stephens
- “Sometimes you watch one of your favorite shows from 20 years ago and you think, ‘I’m loving this, but golly, it’s going at the speed of a snail.'” – Julian Fellowes
Funny Snail Jokes
What happens when two snails get into a fight?
They slug it out!
Why doesn’t McDonald’s serve escargot?
Because it’s not fast food.
How do snails get their shells so shiny?
They use snail varnish!
Where do you find giant snails?
At the end of the giants’ fingers!
What does snail wear to go dancing??
- Popular Snail Coloring Pages on Amazon
- Amazing Snail Coloring Book: This snails coloring book is filled with joyful designs. This coloring book is designed for people who love snails and it is also a great gift on any occasion.
- An Adult Coloring Book of 40 Zentangle Snails: The 40 expertly illustrated Snail designs in this coloring book for adults will provide hours of entertainment!