Skunks are North and South American mammals in the family Mephitidae. Mephitidae means ‘stink’ which is how skunks got their name. While related to polecats and other members of the weasel family, skunks have as their closest Old World relatives the stink badgers. The animals are known for their ability to spray a liquid with a strong, unpleasant smell.
Click on any of the skunk coloring pages below to see the full coloring page.
Quiz About Skunks
How many species of skunks can be found in North America?
One reason skunks are considered beneficial is that they feed on mice, voles, and small rats. This feeding habit of skunks helps to keep the rodent population in check.
What is a young skunk called?
Answer: A kitten
Are skunks ever kept as pets?
The color of skunks is always black and white. True or false?
Striped skunks are born in which season?
Interesting Facts About Skunks
- Skunks will attack beehives, but not for the honey – they eat the bees.
- A male skunk is called a buck, the female a doe, and the baby a kit.
- Skunks have a very keen sense of smell and hearing, but poor eyesight.
- Skunks can run up to 10 miles per hour.
- The lifespan of a skunk in the wild is about three years, but they can survive 10 years in captivity.
Quotes About Skunks
- “I love the smell of skunks. Driving down a back road and you smell a skunk that’s sprayed or been hit. I love that. It reminds me of home.” — Dustin Lynch
- “You’re making me feel like a skunk at the garden party.” — Ken Starr
- “It is sometimes very hard to tell the difference between history and the smell of skunk.” — Rebecca West
- “When I first started, you couldn’t mention divorce or death. You couldn’t show smelly socks. You couldn’t show a snake. They took a skunk out of my strip one time.” — Mort Walker
- “Sometimes when you get in a fight with a skunk, you can’t tell who started it.” — Lloyd Doggett
Funny Skunk Jokes
Have you heard the skunk joke?
You don’t want to; it really stinks!
How do you make a skunk stop smelling?
Plug up its nose!
Why does the skunk bring toilet paper to the party?
Because he is a party pooper.
How many skunks does it take to make a big stink?
How much money does a skunk have?
What did the judge say when a skunk entered the courtroom?
Odor in the court!
What did the religious skunk say?
“Let us spray!”
Popular Skunk Coloring Pages on Amazon
- Skunk Coloring Book: Are you looking for something fun, creative, and unique to give as a gift to someone young or old? This skunk coloring book is just the thing you have been looking for!
- The Skunk Brook Coloring Book: 30 hand-drawn pages of fun nature scenes to color. Printed single-sided, so that your artwork isn’t affected by bleed-through from pictures on the other side of the page.