The prehistoric dinosaurs were spectacular animals that ruled our planet for more than 150 million years. They walked on their toes, standing upright on pillarlike legs and holding their long, bony tails off the ground.
Some dinosaurs were fierce hunters and carnivores (meat-eaters), while others were peaceful plant-eaters (herbivores). These ancient reptiles lived on land, laid eggs, and built nests.
Click on any of the prehistoric dinosaurs coloring pages below to see the full coloring page.
Quiz About Prehistoric Dinosaurs
True or false? The name dinosaur means ‘terrible lizard’.
True or false? Birds evolved from dinosaurs.
How many horns did Triceratops have?
Was Diplodocus a carnivore or herbivore?
Did Theropods such as Allosaurus and Carnotaurus move on two legs or four?
Interesting Facts About Prehistoric Dinosaurs
- Dinosaurs walked the earth for over 165 million years.
- They lived during a period of time known as the Mesozoic Era, or Age of Reptiles.
- At the end of the Cretaceous Period, they became extinct – that was around 65 million years ago. During this time there was a great deal of volcanic activity and many earthquakes.
- Many people believe that dinosaurs became extinct because an asteroid hit the earth changing the climate dramatically. It is believed that dinosaurs couldn’t adapt to these changes.
- The word dinosaur means terrifying lizard. This name was invented by Sir Richard Owen in 1842.
- The oldest known dinosaur is Eoraptor, a meat-eater that lived 228 million years ago.
- Most dinosaurs hatch from eggs, and they could not fly or live in water.
Quotes About Prehistoric Dinosaurs
- “The dinosaurs aren’t remembered for much more than their bones. When humanity’s gone, what do we give to this little planet that we’re on, and what could we do collectively, removing the pride?” — Kanye West
- “Dinosaurs did not walk with humans. The evolutionary record says different. They gambled.” — Steve Martin
- “I’ve always loved dinosaurs.” — Matt Smith
- “Horizontal and vertical sprawl… are the dinosaurs of an ending fossil-fuel age of synthetic culture.” — Leon Krier
- “Many dinosaurs were smaller than chickens.” — Ken Ham
Funny Prehistoric Dinosaur Jokes
Why do museums have old dinosaur bones?
Because they can’t afford new ones!
What does a triceratops sit on?
What’s the best way to talk to a velociraptor?
How do you ask a tyrannosaur out to lunch?
What were 30 feet long, had a two-foot-long beak, and left crumbs all over the mattress?
Popular Prehistoric Dinosaurs Coloring Pages on Amazon
- 80 Dinosaur Coloring Pages: This dinosaur coloring pages will help your toddler, preschooler, or elementary school student unleash his / her creative talent by combining different colors and creating different masterpieces.
- Dinosaur Coloring for Kids: Everything is better with dinosaurs! Even coloring pages! That’s why two of your kid’s greatest passions, coloring, and dinosaurs have been combined into a single ultra-exciting kids coloring book for hours of endless coloring fun!