The potato is one of the main food crops in the world. It grows well in cool climates. Potatoes are often boiled, fried, or baked. They are served whole or mashed, cut up into fries, or made into potato chips.
The potato belongs to the nightshade family of plants, which also includes eggplant, tomatoes, and garden peppers.
Click on any of the potato coloring pages below to see the full coloring page.
Quiz About potatoes
What is a potato?
Answer: A potato is a starchy, tuberous crop
The word “potato” may refer either to the plant itself or the what?
Answer: Edible tuber.
In the Andes, where the species is indigenous, there are some other what?
Answer: Closely related cultivated potato species.
Potatoes were introduced outside the Andes region approximately how long ago?
Answer: Four centuries.
Potatoes are the world’s fourth-largest what?
Answer: Food crop, following maize, wheat, and rice.
Interesting Fact About Potatoes
- Potatoes are vegetables but they contain a lot of starch (carbohydrates) that make them more like rice, pasta, and bread in terms of nutrition.
- Much like rice, wheat, and maize (corn), potato crops are an important part of the world’s diet.
- The word potato comes from the Spanish word patata.
- Potato plants are usually pollinated by insects such as bumblebees.
- Potatoes contain a variety of vitamins and minerals.
Quotes About potatoes
- “Papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prism, are all very good words for the lips.”–Charles Dickens
- “Every single diet I ever fell off of was because of potatoes and gravy of some sort.”–Dolly Parton
- “My dream is to become a farmer. Just a Bohemian guy pulling up his own sweet potatoes for dinner.”–Lenny Kravitz
- “It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.”–Douglas Adams
- “What I say is that, if a fellow really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”–A. A. Milne
Funny Potato Jokes
What kind of potato starts arguments?
Why was the potato actor so happy?
He got a lead role in Plants vs. Zombies.
Why didn’t the potato want to go to the Halloween dance party?
He was afraid of the Monster Mash.
What do you call a monkey who makes potato chips?
Who is the most powerful potato in the galaxy?
Popular Potato Coloring Pages on Amazon
- Potato Spud Coloring Book: This potato coloring book is perfect for anyone that loves this root vegetable and want to escape the troubles of everyday life by coloring their problems away.
- Potato with Heart Cover Color Book: Potatoes aren’t just delicious — they are also fun to color on the pages of a book. Make this tasty root vegetable come to life with beautiful, vibrant colors.