Bees live in colonies that contain the queen bee, the worker bee, and the drone. The worker bee and the queen bee are both females, but only the queen bee can reproduce.
All drones are male. Worker bees clean the hive, collecting pollen and nectar to feed the colony and they take care of the offspring. The drone’s only job is to mate with the queen. The queen’s only job is to lay eggs.
Click on any of the insect bees coloring pages below to see the full coloring page.
Quiz About Bees
What unique behavior does a bee use to communicate the location of food to the other bees in its colony?
Answer: Performs a dance
The queen bee is the only bee who can produce both male and female bees. True or false?
What is the hatching time of the bee’s eggs?
Answer: 3 months
The honeybee is not sensitive to ultraviolet light. True or false?
What does a fertilized bee egg develop into?
Answer: Female worker
How many wings does a honeybee have?
Interesting Facts About Insect Bees
- Honey bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey.
- One bee has to fly about 90,000 miles – three times around the globe – to make one pound of honey.
- The average bee will make only 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime.
- A honey bee visits 50 to 100 flowers during a collection trip.
- A honey bee can fly for up to six miles, and as fast as 15 miles per hour.
- Honey bees communicate with one another by dancing.
- A colony of bees consists of 20,000-60,000 honey bees and one queen. Worker honey bees are female, live for about 6 weeks, and do all the work.
Quotes About Bees
- “Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers.” — Robert Green Ingersoll
- “That which is not good for the bee-hive cannot be good for the bees.” — Marcus Aurelius
- “Take time to smell the roses and eventually you’ll inhale a bee.” — Unknown
- “For bees, the flower is the fountain of life/For flowers, the bee is the messenger of love.” — Kahlil Gibran
- “The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For a man, it is to know that and to wonder at it.” — Jacques Yves Cousteau
- “If the bee disappeared off the face of the earth, man would only have four years left to live.” — Maurice Maeterlinck
Funny Bees Jokes
What’s more impressive than a talking llama?
A spelling bee!
Why do bees stay in the hive in winter?
Why do beekeepers have such beautiful eyes?
Because beauty is in the eye of the beeholder!
What does a wasp say when it is having an identity crisis?
Too bee or not too bee?
Who writes books for little bees?
What did the bee say to the flower?
Bees Coloring Pages on Amazon
- Bee Coloring Book For Adults: Do you love Bee’s or know someone who does? Then this book of 30 Bee coloring pages is the ideal gift to help you relax. Each illustration within this fantastic adult coloring book is lovingly hand-drawn by the author in a zentangle, folk art style.
- Bees Coloring Book 1: The perfect coloring book for every child that loves bees. 40 coloring pages filled with stingy and friendly bees.